Monday, March 29, 2010

Victoria Falls






This weekend I was finally able to visit the awe-inspiring Victoria Falls. It is currently nearing the peak of rainy season, and the falls are at their max with the rolling thunder of water, which could be heard from the Zambezi Sun hotel I was staying at.



from the hotel, you exit a gate and directly into Mosi-o-Tunya National Park, and the entrance to the Falls. Once at the Falls, there is an unreal bridge you cross to get to an island on the edge of the falls, that is constantly begin sprayed by insane amounts of water. Due to the peak of the water level, crossing the long bridge requires holding onto the rail since you can barely see with all the intense waves of water rushing over you, and the inches of water cascading down the bridge. You can rent a pncho or raincoat, but it is a waste as there is no way to keep dry (although it did help me protect my camera).



the island boasts amazing views - although facing the falls you can't see much due to all the water spraying up. But facing the other direction I could see the bridge that connects Zambia to Zimbabwe - the location for the Bungee jump and other extreme thrill activities.





But what made this excursion so surreal to me was when I went to cross back over the bridge. It was 4:30pm, and the sun was hitting so as to make the most perfect full rainbow directly over the bridge as I walked back - it was like in a dream since I could see the start of the bridge but not where it ended on the other side- it was like crossing into another world (cheesy, I know).



2 comments:

  1. hey drew....i am ready to pack my suitcase and head to africa with your parents!!! I'm loving your blog and the wonderful pictures. Love you..and be safe! aunt cindy

    ReplyDelete